Google +1

Saturday, February 24, 2007

What Does Family Mean? (Poem)




WHAT DOES FAMILY MEAN?
July 16, 1996
Richard O. Harris

Someone once asked me what family means.
I asked them how much time they had to listen.
Fried chicken, potatoes, and turnip greens
Were but a few of the things I planned to mention.

They thought I was joking and I did not understand.
So they asked me to please explain it a little more.
I replied that family was more than just a clan.
It was one place I knew I could find an open door.

With great effort, they over came their frustration,
And asked if I was enjoying these jokes.
I explained that family was an inspiration
And I wasn’t kidding, just ask any ones folks.

Then they said, Stop, let’s just start all over again,
Go back to the beginning and figure it out.
I stated family included ALL my kin.
I didn’t know what all the confusion was about.

All the little things that make a family
Are more than I can count times a hundred.
So, if you want me to say it quite frankly,
Family includes everyone that’s my kindred.

Those with whom I live and abide,
Those I love in every state,
All the members of my tribe,
Even those who show up late.

To me it all seems very clear
And to define it all real simply,
It’s all the people I hold dear
That I mean when I say family.

It’s all of those who have gone before
And all of those who will come tomorrow.
It is all of you and so much more,
In time of happiness and sorrow.

So to you I give my reply
Of what family means to me.
You are always there when I cry,
“I LOVE YOU ALL – MY FAMILY!”

1 comment:

Feedback is always encouraged and appreciated. Even if I do not like what is said, I do want to keep an open mind and listen. Rick

Rick's Amazon Store

Google Search

Donate

Comments

Recent Comments

Powered by Disqus

Some of My other Sites

Find HIV/AIDS Services

Fusion Quest

20% Of All Online Sales
Come Through Affiliate Programs

Launch Your Affiliate Program
Through FusionQuest

  • UltraLinks -- Direct Links
  • Extreme Support -- Costomized Solutions
  • Value -- Packed for the Price
  • The Complete Solution

Access the FusionQuest Network
of Affiliates.

Providing continuous affiliate tracking since August of 2000. Time-tested and experienced!

Take The Free Test Drive Today!

www.FusionQuest.com

Congress

Let your voice be heard!!! www.congress.org

Buy.com

SnapDolllars.com

Gadgettown.com

10% off for Car Diagnostic Tools at GadgetTown.com

SAT Courses

The nation's largest on-campus provider of sat prep and act prep

Test Prep

Test Preparation GMAT LSAT GRE