Google +1

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fear – The Third Side of My Bipolar Being’s Coin

Fear – The Third Side of My Bipolar Being’s Coin
© August 15, 2007
Richard O. Harris

The last several weeks I have been trying to understand my own fear a little better so I could share it with others. Also, to get a better grasp on my own mental stability and why the ‘center’ of my bipolar disorder holds so much fear for me. Though still a work in progress, I am beginning to realize some of the more basic truths about my self that I have not been willing to own for most of my life.

While not excusing my behavior, I now recognize I grew up in an environment that encouraged me to condemn parts of my self. I do not place the burden for this on any one person or thing; it is just what it was at the time. Trying to be what I thought others wanted and burying my own identity to belong has led to many challenges for me and I am sure most children have had that need to be loved.

Others have dealt with worse and come out healthier I am sure. Yet, for me, the struggle remained one of massive proportions, as I felt so isolated and uncertain. Consequently, I began to suspect others had ‘hidden’ identities also and began to question the truth of what was being presented to me.

I know this makes me sound pretty paranoid at a very young age and can only say that is the truth of the matter – I was paranoid. Not in the sense that I thought others were out to get me but that others were out to convince me of something while hiding a deeper truth. As I instinctively kept the deepest truths of my self hidden so I suspected did others and though frightened I was also fascinated by the idea of discovering those truths.

So there I was, a frightened, lying, suspicious, fascinated child attempting to discern the truth. As I write this I see the many contradictions and can only wonder that I avoided psychiatric care as long as I did. More amazing still is that in one of my careers I was especially known for my ability to deal with psychotic and other mentally disturbed addicts/alcoholics.

The last two weeks I have spent trying to pinpoint what remains of this fear in my life today. While there remains that fear of how others view me, I have discovered a fear that goes so much deeper. This deepest fear I have realized now is my fear of trusting others to care about me unless I can be what they want me to be.

As a result, I have continued to attempt manipulating people and events to provide me with what I seek most – rescue. I understand now my rescue cannot occur through my own manipulation of others or events (a form of social suicide if you will). True rescue can only come from outside of my self by those willing to assist without thought or expectation of how they will be repaid.

It may sound silly but I can visualize my behavior as setting my own house on fire hoping someone will come and then being upset when the firemen do not arrive on time. In my heart I know this is childish of me and the selfishness is very blatant. Yet, my Fear – The Third Side of My Bipolar Being’s Coin is that no one will rescue me.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:53 PM

    The rescue you seek is knocking at the door of your heart. The fear within is desperately trying to keep you in bondage to the lifestyle you have lived. Only the truth can set you free. Not my truth, nor your truth but THE TRUTH. His words have been spoken to you over and over again. Some of them are embedded in your heart. That is how you hear the knocking. Open the door to your heart and allow THE TRUTH to enter. If you do not a reprobate mind awaits you. This is promised and the God of heaven and earth will deliver.

    Fear that which is not ordered of him for in doing so you show obedience to him. Call it a third side of Bipolar or call it the Holy Trinity either way does not matter to him. Knock and it shall be opened, seek and yea shall find, ask and it shall be given thee.

    Every man, woman and child deals with fears. Yout mother has a great negotiating position now and you can bet that when this round of knocking stops, a reprobate mind is not far behind, if you don't allow THE TRUTH to enter.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always encouraged and appreciated. Even if I do not like what is said, I do want to keep an open mind and listen. Rick

Rick's Amazon Store

Google Search

Donate

Comments

Recent Comments

Powered by Disqus

Some of My other Sites

Find HIV/AIDS Services

Fusion Quest

20% Of All Online Sales
Come Through Affiliate Programs

Launch Your Affiliate Program
Through FusionQuest

  • UltraLinks -- Direct Links
  • Extreme Support -- Costomized Solutions
  • Value -- Packed for the Price
  • The Complete Solution

Access the FusionQuest Network
of Affiliates.

Providing continuous affiliate tracking since August of 2000. Time-tested and experienced!

Take The Free Test Drive Today!

www.FusionQuest.com

Congress

Let your voice be heard!!! www.congress.org

Buy.com

SnapDolllars.com

Gadgettown.com

10% off for Car Diagnostic Tools at GadgetTown.com

SAT Courses

The nation's largest on-campus provider of sat prep and act prep

Test Prep

Test Preparation GMAT LSAT GRE